As Mr Gay World™, I find it enormously unfortunate that Tanzania has decided to target and attack the LGBTQ+ people of its country through a targeted witch hunt. The Queer community within Tanzania are already marginalized, discriminated and bullied, so it is discouraging to hear that the government wants to create a task force to encourage these values of hatred.
I remind the Tanzanian government that they have a duty to protect all the citizens of Tanzania and ensure that every individual has access to human rights and is free from discrimination. As a member of the LGBTQ+ community, I am beyond disappointed to hear what is happening to my community and hope the Queer community can remain strong and resilient in the face of adversity.
Furthermore the Mr Gay World™ organization similarly urges the Tanzanian government take into account the aspirations set out in the Maputo Protocol (2003) on Sexual and Reproductive Health, the Angola Resolution 275 on Protection against Violence and Violations against Persons on the basis of their real or imputed Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity (2014) of the African Commission on Human and Peoples Rights, and Agenda 2063 of the African Union (AU), the universality and indivisibility of Human Rights, as proclaimed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), and the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights (ACPHR).
We call on the Tanzanian government to:
- Immediately halt this move and take measures to protect the LGBTQ+ community in the country.
- The Tanzanian President to condemn the violence and biased acts against LGBTQ+ persons
- Immediate intervention from stakeholders, especially including the African Union and the ACHPR to call on Tanzanian Government to halt the arrests.
- Countries in the region accept LGBTQ+ persons fleeing persecution and seeking safe haven.
- The UNHCR to review its policy that LGBTQ+ refugees do not warrant special considerations and protections and acknowledge the need for additional services and dispensations for LGBTQ+ refugees.
For further information please contact Mr Gay World™ at email@example.com